8 - Nehanda Truscott-Reid
Nehanda Truscott-Reid left a high-flying corporate job to retrain and launch a career as a holistic life coach, guiding women from pre-conception, through pregnancy and early parenthood, all while pregnant with her second child. She and her husband Romaine are considering home educating, and in this episode she talks with host Makeba Garraway about:
- The day to day practicalities of HE
- Writing an educational philosophy for home education
- The influence of cultural background on our views about education
- Having the courage to jump before we are ready
- Identifying when our own issues are getting in the way of effective parenting
- Respectability politics!
...and lots more!
Leave an iTunes Review:
Music: Intro/outro/ interlude - produced & arranged by Soliheen: www.soundcloud.com/soliheen
Things we refer to in the show:
Oprah Winfrey - What is the next right move? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7GGjhKfnE4
Teachers' implicit biases and their expectations of black children: http://ziglercenter.yale.edu/publications/Preschool%20Implicit%20Bias%20Policy%20Brief_final_9_26_276766_5379_v1.pdf
Fare of the Free Child podcast: http://www.akilahsrichards.com/podcast/
Example Educational Philosophies for home education: http://free-range-education.org.uk/Educational%20Philosophies.html